THE VOODOO CHRONICLES

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Tales of the Flood

Before Katrina I had written a few stories that brought Jovan to New Orleans in his first appearance as WitchDoctor. In the story he drops onto the port of the French Quarter in the midst of a hurricane and seemingly causes a flood of the city. Through the flood the spirits of enslavement take over the city and wreak havoc on our hero.

Through the relocation/reconstruction effort - widespread chaos and panic feed into the horrow that Jovan faces. Ultimately paramilitary forces, a badly beaten police force and a community of scared civilians perpetuate a zombie myth that encourages the slaughter of thousands of undead people - these victims literally were not dead.

The first story of this series - Voodoo Dawn would be just the beginning of various adventures in the Big Easy. I did some photo research there and found the spiritual energy overwhelming but had no idea what was about to happen.

After Katrina I saw the reality of what I had proposed in my story and the setting became much bigger. Since my fiction was now startlingly realistic I not only had to revisit the stories but get them up to speed with how things actually went down, beyond that I had to be even more careful about addressing the topic.

No comments: